Recommend a book

Jim Kruse isjrk at emory.edu
Wed Jun 5 13:42:15 EDT 1996

A lot of which is determined by who your audience is.

Are they running Java capable browsers.

There are still a lot of people using Lynx(text
based Browser) as their browser.

Put your time and effort into developing for the
capabilities of your target audiance.

Just realize that the capabilities of your target audience
are constantly changing.  If you don't have something
operational in 3 - 6 months, you may need to reevaluate.

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:21:49 -0700 Linda Hyman
<lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu> wrote:

> I suppose I should send my
two cents worth to the listserv and start a
> raging debate over PERL vs. JavaScript...
>
> Everyone claims the "Llama" and "Camel"  books are the best.
>
> >Learning Perl
> >by Randal L. Schwartz
> >from O'Reilly & Associates
> >
> >and
> >
> >Programming Perl
> >by Larry Wall and Randal l. Schartz
> >from O'Reilly & Associates
> >
>  You might want to check out JavaScript though before you go to deeply into
> yucky old PERL.  It allows for manipulation of data as well as other kinds
> of cool stuff on the client side (using Netscape 2.0 and above) versus
> being server driven.  We are teaching ourselves JavaScript using Danny
> Goodman's book.   There is a group of 13 or 14 students, staff and
> professors.  We see the demise of PERL imminent except for special uses.
>
> As a non-programmer, I took one look at PERL and said "no way."  I am
> finding JavaScript very approachable and with immediate results.  Another
> big plus for JavaScript, it debugs!!  Good luck debugging a PERL script.
> Nuff said.  I would do some research before I put alot of time into PERL.
> Do some quick research to compare capabilities and decide exactly what it
> is that you need to do.  Good luck.
>

> >Fledgling webmaster needs a good introductory book on
> >Perl.  Previous experience in programming in COBOL,
> >FORTRAN, compiled basic, and C++ (minor experience).
>
> Linda Woods Hyman-Education First Initiative
> Pacific Bell/San Diego State University
> Dept. of Educational Technology
> San Diego  CA  92182  (619) 594-4414
> e-mail:  lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu