TV versus the Web (Re: Students use of search engines )

Steve Cramer scramer at davenport.edu
Wed Jun 5 09:48:42 EDT 1996

[I'm sorry, I've lost track of who wrote this]
"When students generally, and the general public,
 start using the Internet with the "Network Computer"
Internet Appliance, they will want it to be easy and
convenient using a TV remote - point and press."
______________________________
An interesting idea. However, the Internet will never be as
"easy and convient" as TV. TV is a *passive*
entertainment medium (and sometimes an information
media, but it's still passive information-gathering). It's
supposed to be simple to use, because that's the nature of
passivity.

OTOH, the Internet is an *interactive* communications
and information medium, requiring self-direction and
personal choice. Activity requires work.

Hence the need to teach the often complex nature of
finding information, especially when a particular
information resource (like the Internet) lacks value-added
tools like subject headings, classification, and evaluation.

Steve Cramer
Library, Davenport College of Business
Holland, Michigan USA
scramer at davenport.edu