Students use of search engines -Reply

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Wed Jun 5 09:11:05 EDT 1996

>      I fully and wholeheartedly agree with Gail Wanner.  We should not
> *try* to adapt students and the public to the Internet; we should adapt
> the Internet to them.  When students generally, and the general public,
> start using the Internet with the "Network Computer" Internet Appliance,
> they will want it to be easy and convenient using a TV remote - point
> and press.

I agree to a certain extent, but this view leaves out the practical,
day-to-day operation of a library. For example, we're getting people at
the reference desk almost every day who want to know how to use WWW
search engines - should I teach them how, or should I instead call up
Lycos and complain that their search engine is difficult to use? Probably
both, but I think you see my point. This isn't an "either/or" issue.

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi
			dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu