Win' NT, Netscape Server & Patron Authentication

Timothy Renick timothyr at library2.websteruniv.edu
Wed Jul 24 15:14:06 EDT 1996

Hello,

I need some advice.  We are beta testing the Web interface for a full
text provider.  The process is now in the "How to do patron
authentication stage."  Normally, if we were just dealing with the main
campus, this would be done through IP address verification.  However, the
system that we are to set up MUST allow valid users to access the
databases from home.  The vendor has agreed and we are working together
on the problem.

As stated in the subject line, I have just received an NT server running
Netscape's Web Server.  As you are already familiar with in library
settings, things don't come about as expected.  I wanted the server to
arrive a long time ago to allow me to become familiar with the system.
However, now I have to push the system into operation much sooner than
expected.

The authentication process has been split between the vendor and our
library.  Our part is to decide on the database structure and how to
search it.  We have decided to go with a flat file of unique patron
numbers that has been generated from the main university patron
database.  We envision having a small "program" to do a grep like search
on the file and then return either a HTTP 200 or 404 for validation or
rejection.  This HTTP response is required by the vendor who is doing the
other part of the process.

Questions:
1)  For the library's part, does this flat file system seem like good
system, or can you recommend a better one?

2)  For the search part, if we go with the flat file, is it possible to
write it in Visual Basic and have it work (I have no programming
experience so all recommendations welcome -- I am hoping to get in touch
with a programmer through the university).

3)  What other considerations, recommendations, opinions, or possible
questions do you have that I should be aware of.  We are hoping to duplicate
this process and use it for other library services that are open only for
registered patrons.

Any experiences familiar with this problem would greatly appreciated.

-Timothy

Timothy M. Renick
Systems Librarian
Eden-Webster Library
475 E. Lockwood Ave.
Webster Groves, MO  63119
voice (314) 963-6084    fax (314) 968-7113
e-mail timothyr at library2.websteruniv.edu