Feedback forms

marc at ckm.ucsf.edu marc at ckm.ucsf.edu
Fri Jul 19 10:24:57 EDT 1996

| ACTION="MAILTO" is a quick and dirty solution at best.  My advice is to
| insist on CGI access.

Mailto: resolves an accessibility issue for clients loosely connected to the
network, as a user working with a pre-loaded web can queue a mail msg until
they reconnect while submitting a FORM with an http URL would hang.  Mailto:
is the only choice for these scenarios at the moment.  See the mhtml
(encapsulating HTML and inlines into e-mail messages) group documents at ietf.

But encoding FORM INPUT fields into application/x-www-form-urlencoded shouldn't
vary that much based on which browser encoded it.  Nothing that the decoder
couldn't parse if it is playing by the rules.

Repeat after me and smash some false assumptions:

All user agents are not GUI browsers.
Everyone is not on fast connection.
Everyone is not connected all the time.

-marc