Organizing Web Information

Wilfred [Bill] Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Wed Jul 17 15:40:39 EDT 1996

Bill Crosbie wrote:

> Another wrinkle in a similar vein....
>
> Sites will be evolving to the point where each user sees a different page
> that is dynamically assembled from a database of information in the
> background.  This database can house a very diverse set of topics, or even a
> broad spectrum within a more limited field of study.  The point in question
> is - how do you catalog something that appears differently (perhaps
> radically differently) depending on which individual is viewing the material?

Such sites already exist.  Look at http://my.yahoo.com or the personal
front page at
http://www.msnbc.com.   Each is customizable by the viewer.  Each site
"remembers"
your preferences.  The netscape homepage also offers a similar feature
where the page is generated on the fly by preferences stored in
netscape's ini file.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902