Z39.50 vs. graphical interface summary

Chip Barnett cbarnett at leo.vsla.edu
Mon Jul 15 10:52:50 EDT 1996

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help in deciding
between a Z39.50 server and software to support graphical
browsing of our OPAC.  Reflecting the uncertainty in the whole
business, I got strong votes both ways.  A couple of people
pointed out correctly that the decision depends on who we're
targeting: librarians and library users (in which case Z39.50
makes more sense) versus home users (who wouldn't have Z39.50
clients).

It was unanimous that the problem of Netscape's not coming with a
telnet agent is not really a problem, that users are responsible
for setting up their own PCs.  Several people gave me URLs to
check as examples of how they've handled the issue:
     http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/bpl/files/bplcat.html
     http://www.osl.state.or.us/oslhome.html
     http://bergen.bccls.org
     http://www.gti.net/mocolib1/MCL.html
(The language I used in my query was faulty; when I noted that
Netscape doesn't "support" telnet, I didn't mean that telnet
doesn't work with Netscape, but that the user needs to install
some extra software that isn't bundled with Netscape.)

Complicating the matter, several people suggested freeware.
Rami Heinisuo told me about CNIDR's Zgate, which would
act as a graphical Web interface if we buy a Z39.50 server.
("Zgate is basically a Z39.50 client ... a WWW to Z39.50 stateful
gateway" that "can be compiled and used on most Unix based
systems, probably WinNT also.")  He referred me to
     http://www.cnidr.org/
     http://dstc.edu.au/RDU/reports/zclients.html
Anders Ardo sent me to
     http://europagate.dtv.dk/
for a Web interface if we have a Z39.50 server.  Karen Schneider
recommended using one of "several respectable, free Z39.50
software packages," referring me to her upcoming American
Libraries column.  (She, too, mentioned the CNIDR software.)

Thanks again for your help.
--
Chip Barnett (cbarnett at leo.vsla.edu)	Rockbridge Regional Library
(540) 463-4324				138 S. Main St.