Anatomy of a netscam (fwd)

Tony Gill tony at adam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 11 08:12:15 EDT 1996

Laura Cohen wrote:
> > I agree with Karen that it would be wonderful
> > if academia could create large, reliable subject databases.
> > Actually, there are small, rather reliable subject
> > databases out there, and perhaps this is the most we can
> > realistically expect.

The Joint Information Systems Committee of the UK's Higher Education Funding
Councils have funded an initiative called the Electronic Libraries (eLib)
Programme, which in turn has funded the implementation of a number of
'Subject-Based Information Gateways' (SBIGS) of the type Laura describes.

These projects, known collectively as the 'Access to Network Resources' (ANR)
projects, aim to provide reliable, user-friendly access to quality-checked
resources on the Internet by combining new communications technologies with
more traditional library practices and standards.

The complete list of these subject-based search services as at 11 July '96 is:

ADAM: Art, Design, Architecture & Media Information Gateway
http://adam.ac.uk

CAIN: Conflict Archive on the INternet
http://www.ulst.ac.uk/cain/index.htm

EEVL: Edinburgh Engineering Virtual Library
http://eevl.icbl.hw.ac.uk/

IHR-INFO: Towards a National and International Information Service for
Historians
http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/

OMNI: Organising Medical Networked Information
http://omni.ac.uk

RUDI: Resource for Urban Design Information
http://rudi.herts.ac.uk/

SOSIG: Social Science Information Gateway
http://sosig.ac.uk

Many of the services use software that is being produced by another eLib ANR
Project:

ROADS: Resource Organisation And Discovery in Subject-based services
http://ukoln.bath.ac.uk/roads/

Information about the Electronic Libraries programme itself can be found at:
http://ukoln.bath.ac.uk/elib/

The ANR projects are all at different stages of development, and have been
funded for periods of between 2 and 3 years, after which we will need to
obtain funding from alternative sources or become self-financing -- vocal
international support can help further this cause.

Tony

P.S. Acronyms were provided for future reference ;-)
--
== Tony Gill ================================= ADAM Project Leader ==
 Surrey Institute of Art & Design * Farnham * Surrey * GU9 7DS * UK