First Search Login-- Clarification about security

Mack Lundy mack at mail.swem.wm.edu
Thu Jul 25 13:22:23 EDT 1996

Peter C. Gorman writes:

>Amen! Login/passwords may work for individual access, but they're
>a terrible way to provide access for a large group of users, like
>a campus. It's needlessly complicated for the user, and insecure
>as well.

I would like to point out that validation by domain is only good
when everyone is coming from a known set of domains.  I don't know
about the rest of the country, but in Virginia we are seeing
educational institutions outsourcing Internet services.  This is
on top of faculty and students who have already contracted with an
ISP.  They expect to be able to access, from off-campus,
everything they can access on campus.  We can't do ip validation
in this situation.  The problem becomes even worse if access to a
service such as Britannica Online is through a consortium; now you
have lots of domains and who knows how many possible ISPs
providing Internet access.

A possible solution lies in the use of a proxy server.  Of course
now someone has to figure out how to authenticate a user at the
proxy server point.  And back to the problem with being in a
consortium, how do you build a user database at the state level
when there are legal prohibitions against sending user information
off campus.

Unfortunately, right now there doesn't seem to be one solution
that will meet everyone's needs.

Mack

Mack A. Lundy III		e-mail: mack at mail.swem.wm.edu
Library Systems Manager		voice:  757-221-3114
Swem Library			fax:	757-221-2635
College of William and Mary
PO Box 8794
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8794