Full Text Retrieval -Reply -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Thu Jul 25 12:06:02 EDT 1996

I don't doubt those numbers, but EPA libraries each purchase
their own databases, so FirstSearch by-search pricing for *us* is
perfect.  If we purchased collectively, it would be another story.
What FS does for us is give us access to things we would
otherwise not be able to touch at all, due to high cost and limited
use.

Now, speaking of high cost... has anyone priced out groups of
Internet-accessible commercial databases on SilverPlatter versus
Cambridge Scientific versus Ovid?  I ask because I've costed out
the first two for our region but not the third.   The enviro-sci
databases (Chembank, ESPM and/or PolTox, etc.) are very
useful for us and warrant site licensing (in the past we've used
primarily SP CD-ROMs)... but some prices I've had this year are,
well, spectacular.  Other observations on these three publishers
are welcome, too.

Karen G. Schneider/opinions mine alone
spending July behind Excel spreadsheets...