Full Text Retrieval -Reply

Stan Furmanak furmanak at lvc.edu
Thu Jul 25 10:07:38 EDT 1996

At  6:09 AM 7/25/96 -0700, KAREN SCHNEIDER wrote:

>In our library, we have such a
>special focus that we're planning to use FirstSearch by-the-search
>for its full-text services, including EbscoHost, which we predict
>we will use lightly because of their general orientation.
>
>Gotta run... more thoughts later... anyone else?
>
>Karen G. Schneider/opinions mine alone

Karen-

I've had a friendly debate with another college in our consortium about IAC
vs. EbscoHost. While I agree that EbscoHost does include titles of a
general interest nature in its database, I still think its coverage of
scholarly titles is pretty good. Thought you might find our discussion
below of interest.

We are seriously thinking of relying on EbscoHost more in light of the
statistics outlined below. A fixed subscription cost is much easier to
budget than is the per search cost of accessing the Wilson indexes via
FirstSearch. Our use of F.S. has skyrocketed now that our campus is fully
networked. While EbscoHost does not duplicate select Wilson indexes, it
does come close in some instances.

Ebsco now has an administrative module which allows you to create separate
databases which the user can select. Potentially, then, one could have
"business periodicals" target, "social science periodicals" target, etc.
giving the illusion of separate dbs when actually what one has done is set
predefined limits for the user. In this way you can block out "Ladies Home
Journal" or "Redbook" and really make EbscoHost more academic if you wish.

Stan Furmanak
Systems Librarian
Lebanon Valley College

Stan Furmanak