PURLs before Swine

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Tue Jan 30 15:28:50 EST 1996

I didn't intend my earlier post on PURL reminders from OCLC folks
as a flame; my apologies if it was taken as such.  But as someone who
has recently been involved with two web projects that changed locations,
and who received unsolicited e-mail from someone at OCLC suggesting that
what I really wanted was a PURL, I think it's fair to observe that the behavior
of some of the nice folks up in Dublin approaches that of people combing
through the list looking for an opportunity to hawk their product.  Whether that
product is sold or not doesn't strike me as very relevant.  When the phraseology
of a post on Web4Lib smacks more of the advertising department than that of
networking professionals, I think we are justified in asking what's going on.

Thomas ("Which RFC was that, again?") Dowling