Automating CGI logons - clarification & further question

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx
Mon Jan 29 10:29:54 EST 1996

Having worked on the technical side, I can think up of a solution to this
problem right now-- use a CGI script to 'log in' via a form interface;
and have that 'log in' cgi set up a file which has th addresses of
validated machines. Then, when subsequent documents need to be called up
(via another CGI script), you can check if that request came from an
already validated machine.

You could set a time limit on the amount of time a machine is considered
'logged in', maybe 15 minutes or so, before password re-validation is
required. The login information wouldn't need to be passed back and forth
embedded in a form, this way you could do it just once; and while it could
be done, changing your machine's IP address to match one of an already
'logged-in' machine isn't too easy; you could also store and check against
browser version, machine type, etc along with the IP for each request.
(Which is sent as standard information each time a CGI script is processed).

I'd have to check, specifically, if any one server could do all this, but
I'm pretty sure I could do it under NCSA or some other UNIX server.