Librarian/Webmaster

J.F.Scott J.F.Scott at bton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 29 10:11:58 EST 1996

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, David Kim wrote:

> I understand that many universities have appointed a librarian as the person
> in charge of campus-wide web pages, sometimes with a title of webmaster. If
> you are a librarian with this responsibility, would you kindly drop me a
> line indicating the name of your institution?  Thank you.
>
> David Kim
> kim at salve2.salve.edu

Why?

This is a serious question.  I wouldn't respond to people who came up to
me in the street and started asking me for information without them
explaining what they wanted it for, so why should I when I am on the
Internet?

To broaden it out (So that this message isn't just an expression of my
personal pique) - what is the netiquette of posting a question to a
list?  Should one explain what the information is to be used for,
promise to post a summary of replies, or just ask and hope that the
goodwill of the netizens will engender responses?

Mr Kim, without further information, this looks like a cheap attempt to
compile a mailing list.  Care to prove me wrong?

John
----
John F.Scott           Networked Information Services Advisor
j.f.scott at bton.ac.uk   University of Brighton,  England

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right
to be taken seriously.   -- Hubert Humphrey