Slow windows httpd server

R124C41 at aol.com R124C41 at aol.com
Fri Jan 26 10:10:26 EST 1996

Regarding choices of servers in the original mail message on the subject...

There are so many factors other than speed that dictate the selection of a
server box.

>From an institution point of view (particularly when you're tax-supported for
a particular mission or a particular locale), many of these people coming in
over the net are just lurkers--only peripherally associated with carrying out
your basic mission.

Yes, yes, telling people about yourself is good PR but how much can you
afford to spend on infrastructure and PR as compared with your basic mission.
 It's forgetting to make these sort of choices that cause an institituion to
become fat and sassy instead of lean and mean and therefore ripe for
"restructuring."

Thus, adequate speed to uphold the institution's reputation is probably good.
 Ditto for reasonable reliability.  But having an option to put up a server
which is within the tool set of someone already on staff who is doing other
necessary things with the same tools is also a plus.

I am reminded of the Bruno Bettleheim book "Pretty Good Parenting" or some
such title--apologies if I have misspelled the author's name...

--David J. Ritchie
--Naperville, IL

R124C41 at AOL.COM