Incorporating username/password in http URL OR GET ??

Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 lbspodic at uxmail.ust.hk
Thu Feb 29 21:05:07 EST 1996

This may be a simple question, but I can't find the answer.
I am trying to write a script which will make an HTTP connection
to a page which requires username+password (using the .htaccess protocols),
and automatically log in the user.  I know in the URL spec for some types
of logins this can be done in the form of (e.g.)
        telnet://username:password@host.domain
But I cannot find anything which says this will work for HTTP, and in fact
I have not been able to make it work.  I could script up a complicated GET
command if that is the solution, but I don't know the correct format to use
I have spent a couple hours on this so far, and decided to turn to this
collection of experts for assistance.  Can anyone help me?

- - - - -
Edward F Spodick, Systems Librarian - lbspodic at usthk.ust.hk or @uxmail.ust.hk
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library
tel:  852-2358-6743    fax:  852-2358-1043