Z39.50

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Feb 21 22:14:27 EST 1996

The thread on Z39.50 has been great reading.  I want to add, first, I would
think it isn't the size of the collection that determines whether it should
prepared to be searchable via Z39.50, but what uses it will be put to. I
could see a need for Z39.50 for some very small collections.

But my question is really for those of us getting more tuned in to the
issue of document preparation, modificatoin and cataloging so the
information is accessible--in other words, the cataloging and indexing one
of the posters referred to.  I'm thinking abotu archives of
previously-created documents, new documents, and data on database
servers... a panoply of info.  Is the "metainformation" to be created
strictly in MARC records, as bib records separate from the documents, or
are there other ways to imbed information in or tag it to documents?  At
what level do you index--every html file, every top-level file, or...?

I'm really getting into a cataloging-on-the-net question, but  I found that
thread intriguing and useful, and bet others would appreciate the
edification as well.  Guidelines for further reading and exploration would
also be appreciated.