HELP...I WANT TO GET OFF

Grace Agnew gagnew at ce1.af.public.lib.ga.us
Wed Feb 21 08:11:53 EST 1996

Occasionally, on every list I belong to, someone asks for help
unsubscribing.  Sometimes this is due to sysadmin problems for the
listserv, but often the person has lost the subscribe information (yes,
yes, the administrative message always says "save this message" but we
all pull the mattress tags off too!)  At AFPL, we require that a folder
labelled "subscribe" be set up for each email account where these
messages are saved.  In fact, the
librarians set this up as part of their email training.  When a librarian
with an email account gives notice, the email committee chair sends an
email message reminding them to unsubscribe to listservs and delete all
mail except the subscribe folder.  The Computer Services Department will
then go in and unsubscribe to all listservs, and will delete all
other folders unread, after the librarian has left
and before closing the account, for insurance.  In the case of someone
leaving hurriedly
(termination, hit by a bus), which fortunately never happens, we can
delete their folders and unsubscribe to listservs.  This is good
citizenship--to prevent bounces and save bandwidth on listservs-- which are
non-profit,
public service type things, but also, for those like me with increasingly
faulty memories and bad paper filing skills, it helps to have the info
handy online in a folder.

Not a web issue, but my guess is that many of you manage the email as
well, so a hopefully helpful tip that I figured out when I lost
unsubscribe information myself and got flamed for asking online!

Grace

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Margaret A Clarke wrote:

> If there is anyone who has instructions on how I can remove myself from
> this list please forward them to me.
> Thanks,
> maclarke at rs01.kings.edu

Grace Agnew
Assistant Director for System Support & Technical Development
Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
gagnew at ce1.af.public.lib.ga.us