rating systems faq

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Feb 17 09:41:39 EST 1996

Prentiss wrote...

>I used the phrase "Surfwatch and other Internet ratings systems" based
>on the typology of the Internet Parental Control FAQ:
>
>        http://www.vtw.org/pubs/ipcfaq
>
>The IPCFAQ distinguishes between several kinds of proposed technological
>solutions to the problem:
>
>        Proof of age/shielding systems
>        Proprietary environments
>        Phrase detection systems
>        Third party ratings systems
>
>Under this typology, both Surfwatch and SafeSurf are "rating systems".
>There are many others.  Please see the IPCFAQ for details.

I finally got off my duff and looked at this document.  Interestingly, I
know both authors, one of whom now lives down the street because  a couple
of years ago we introduced him to his future wife.  (And you thought gay
people only recruited to the GAY lifestyle... whoops!  Wrong thread!)
Anyway, I just wrote the authors (however silly that felt, since I could
walk down the block and ring a  doorbell) and said I thought the FAQ was a
good start but has some limitations.  One BIG limitation is that it only
addresses "parental" issues--there is no discussion of the problem of the
public environment--which is our, WEB4LIB's, concern, as well as that of
the larger library community.  (Another problem, which I did not address to
them, was that I think it is a bit oblique.  I would prefer something
written simply, with very clear examples.)

I don't disagree that Surfwatch is a rating system--it certainly is.  I'm
just not sure that the typology established by these authors (however
net-savvy they are, and I've known them a while) can't stand some review
and reorganization.

What I am thinking is that now that my v-server is alive (yes!  as of
yesterday... However--the lights are on but nobody's home!), I'm
long-overdue for an overhaul of the Freedom Page.  I think a strong, online
discussion of these filtering pogroms... ah, I mean programs ;)  such as
Surfnot and Cybercensor ;) plus other censoring activities FROM A
LIBRARIAN'S PERSPECTIVE is overdue... (If one exists,my apologies...)  and
the ability to add input from others would be essential, at first from a
mailto and then from forms, which I'll have the freedom to do from my
little turf.

off to shovel...