ILL forms on Web

William Oldfield wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 13 14:23:10 EST 1996

The security offered by the .htaccess file stops the world from using our
ILL service.

If a person comes into the Library and uses our Electronic form (which we
prefer) or fills out a paper ILL request, they must be valid users or our
ILL departemnt does not fill the order.  I am sure that any ILL department
checks to see if a borrower is a valid user before working on the order and
the electronic submission method is no different.

I believe our ILL Department checks the email address, does a finger on the
student or checks our patron database to verify the borrower information.

At 1:19 PM 2/13/96, Jerilyn Veldof wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, William Oldfield wrote:
>
>> Helen...
>>
>> At UW we simply restrict access to the form and the cgi script to computers
>> in the UW domain.  Using the .htaccess file for this purpose means that
>> only users within your institution can submit ILL requests.
>>
>> It sure beats setting up individual user authentication.
>
>If I'm interpreting this right this means that non-affiliated
>users from the community need only come into the library to order ILL
>materials - as long as they are using a machine with the UW domain.  Is
>this correct?  Do you feel that this is not much of a "problem" and that
>it's cheaper or more efficient in the long run than is setting up user
>authentication?
>
>Jerilyn Veldof
>University of Arizona Library

William Oldfield (Networked Information Research Associate)
University of Waterloo Library            Phone: (519) 888-4567 Ext. 2461
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1         Email: wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca
UWELib:   http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/
Homepage: http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/~wroldfie/home.html