Questions on kiosks and gifs

Tim Smith smitht at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Feb 13 12:34:36 EST 1996

I have two, unrelated, questions that I could use some help with.

(1) A little while back, there was discussion of how to use Netscape in
kiosk mode and, as I recall, the answer for Windows machines had to do with
using a "-k" switch in the command line that started Netscape. My question:
is there any way to run Macintosh Netscape in kiosk mode?

(2) I'm having a problem with GIFs that I want to use. I start by creating
them, on a Macintosh, in a graphics program, then run them through "GIF
Converter" to turn them into GIFs. All is well, so far, until I actually
put them on a page. What happens then is that dots of colors other than
those intended show up on the screen, sometimes as isolated dots, other
times as larger blemishes that look somewhat like colored lint. (As a
footnote, I should add that I've tried creating the GIF files with two
other programs in addition to GIF Converter--but with the same results.) I
would surely appreciate it if someone could enlighten me as to what's going
on and what I should do about it.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Smith

Tim Smith                     e-mail: SMITHT at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Instructional Librarian       phone: (614) 593-2634
Reference Dept.               fax: (614) 593-0138
Alden Library
Ohio University               "Technology has replaced reflection"
Athens, OH  45701                                -- Utah Phillips