I think Further up Further in was Re: Black pages

Elisabeth Roche ace at Opus1.COM
Tue Feb 13 01:36:18 EST 1996

If our role is to be librarians, and eagerly (a given, right?) try to find
information for the pursuing and perusing public, then we have no choice.

If by some abberation of the forces of the universe, in the United States we
have found ourselves in a posture of civil disobedience, then at least our
consciences are clear. (was that the correct conscience? I sure hope so:-))

We can follow through on this civil disobedience or we can work around the
problem and we will all do what we think is the correct thing to do, being
professional information scientists, let's not lose sight of this truth
while others try to take this away from us.

Whatever each of us decides to do we still stand together in a fight against
censorship and restriction of books and learning and information for all the
people of the US who come from a tradition of our original colonial
forebears commitments to access to information.(see Benjamin Franklin - smile)

[I wore my "I Read Banned Books button" all day and the grocery checker said
"You read banned books?" Well, that got the attention of everyone!" )We got
into a discussion right there in the line at the store. It was great.

Everyone around were bringing up books on the banned list (they were all
correct, amazing what the "normal real people" we are all part of know isn't
it:?]

It turned into quite a fun "I read Banned Books" episode at the grocery
store...

Be ready and use it I say!:-)))  I did say, "look at my website, you could
read banned books there",

The checker said really, "give me your url!!!!

So, talk about it and make it happen!!"

Elisabeth Roche ace at opus1.com
http://www.opus1.com/~ace
serendipity RULES!