Freedom of Speech - Abortion

Keith Engwall engwall at uthscsa.edu
Mon Feb 12 16:47:30 EST 1996

Gee, and I thought my job was to develop new ways to access information,
not restrict it.

Oh, I see.  And do you maintain that these "behind-closed-doors" rape
crisis centers turn away anyone under 18?  The bill does not distinguish
between solicited vs. non-solicited information for people under 18.  If
they can access it, mum's the word.  So, are you suggesting that kids don't
need access to this information?  It doesn't matter if their parents are
there.  This bill doesn't cover such contingencies.  Under 18, everything's
Disneyland.  Boy, I wish I lived in your world.

>I don't believe this is true at all.  There are several forms of
>communication
>that could be used to talk about whatever it is you want.  The critera is
>wether
>or not the person recieving the communication has asked for such
>information/discussion of the issue at hand.  This bill doesn't say anything
>about that.  It does say something to the people sending out unsolicated
>mail,
>however.
>
>All topics such as rape, abortion, aids, etc. can still be discussed and
>talked
>about, it may have to private discussions, but the bill certainly doesn't
>make
>it illegal.
>
>It is unlikely that a rape support group would be standing in the parking
>lot of
>Walmart, or some other public place.  Chances are, they will be behind closed
>doors.  And those doors may be open for anyone to come in, but, the main
>discussion is still behind closed doors.
>
>I think this is what the bill is after.
>
>Everyone keeps saying that one person think "this" (can be anything) is
>indecent, but someone else doesn't.  If the people talking about something
>that
>someone else feels is indecent, then they probably should take it behind
>"closed
>doors".  A private IRC chat room is a good example of this...  A private
>usenet
>news server is yet another.
>
>Whatever the subject is, people will need to come up with creative ways to
>restrict access to such materials.  The technology IS there for responsible
>information providers to restrict access to what ever it is they are
>providing.
>It does NOT have to be solely client-end software.
>

>Ronnie Morgan
>Team OS/2
>Harding University Library        Internet : rmorgan at harding.edu
>Systems Manager
>Box 2267, Searcy, AR  72149       Phone : (501) 279-4077 (voice)

Keith Engwall         "Father can you save me, I been feelin' pretty sick.
Systems Librarian     Gotta ball and chain around my legs and an albatross
Briscoe Library       around my neck.  Even though I wrote the script, I
UTHSCSA               disavow every part.  I need the sweet fire of your
engwall at uthscsa.edu   love blowing through this hole in my heart." - VOL