Black page

Lesley Williams lwilliam at nslsilus.org
Fri Feb 9 18:21:40 EST 1996

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, John Adder Fink wrote:

> I've got a question, too.  I'm the system administrator for a university
> library.  If someone pulls some porn off on a public Netscape station in
> my library, on a network that I am responsible for, and the porn in
> question comes from someplace off-campus, I am still held responsible and
> can be thrown in jail and fined however-many-hundreds-of-thousands, even
> though I can't control what people view.  Is this interpretation of the
> Internet Censorship Act correct?

I don't know, but that's *exactly* what I'm worried about. I checked the
ALA page, and called their office in Chicago, and they had no response
prepared regarding the Telecommunications Act and libraries which provide
Internet access to patrons. Our local library system has duly blackened
its page, but they had no information about this either. Has anyone heard
any clear analysis or guidelines about a library's responsibility under
this law? I've been trying to get into the EFF page all afternoon, and
it's just too busy.

Worriedly,

Lesley Williams
Arlington Heights Memorial Library