Black pages

Keith Engwall engwall at uthscsa.edu
Fri Feb 9 16:31:35 EST 1996

Just in case there are folks in our crowd who are not familiar with the
specific legislation in question.

If I understand correctly, the portion of the legislation that is under
protest is as follows:

Section 502. Obscene Or Harassing Use of Telecommunications Facilities
Under the Communications Act of 1934.

        Section 223 (47 U.S.C. 223) is amended--

...skip...

              (2) by adding at the end the following new subsections:

       `(d) Whoever--

              `(1) in interstate or foreign communications knowingly--

                    `(A) uses an interactive computer service to send to a
                    specific person or persons under 18 years of age, or

                    `(B) uses any interactive computer service to display in a
                    manner available to a person under 18 years of age,

              any comment, request, suggestion, proposal, image, or other
              communication that, in context, depicts or describes, in terms
              patently offensive as measured by contemporary community
              standards, sexual or excretory activities or organs,
              regardless of whether the user of such service placed the call or
              initiated the communication; or

              `(2) knowingly permits any telecommunications facility under
such
              person's control to be used for an activity prohibited by
              paragraph (1) with the intent that it be used for such activity,

       shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned not
more
       than two years, or both.

Keith Engwall         "Father can you save me, I been feelin' pretty sick.
Systems Librarian     Gotta ball and chain around my legs and an albatross
Briscoe Library       around my neck.  Even though I wrote the script, I
UTHSCSA               disavow every part.  I need the sweet fire of your
engwall at uthscsa.edu   love blowing through this hole in my heart." - VOL