Black pages

Albert Lunde Albert-Lunde at nwu.edu
Fri Feb 9 14:39:30 EST 1996

At 11:29 AM 2/9/96, David L. King wrote:
>> But material on subjects like AIDS, or Rennassance painting, or
>> American history (try explaining 1968) or literature like Ulysses
>> can all be impacted.
>
>But, is this a problem now? My understanding of this bill is that now, if
>they want to, the FCC can "regulate" the Internet, much like they
>"regulate" broadcast tv and radio. But things like date rape, civil
>rights, AIDS, etc. are all represented on tv and radio - why would the
>fcc do anything different on the internet?

The standard of "indecency" is similar to broadcast television, but I don't
think this law depends on FCC regulation to enforce it. I think rather, the
amendments were added on to a section of law previously having to do with
telephone harrassment.

You really need to look at details of the law before and after to see the
full impact.  In prior drafts, section titles and abstracts were a bit
misleading.

(I'm not a lawyer and I've only read parts of the final version.)

---
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde at nwu.edu