Black pages

Christopher Shaffer shaffer at uic.edu
Fri Feb 9 10:07:43 EST 1996

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, David L. King wrote:

> I don't agree. How will this affect libraries? Think about it - does a
> gas station provide nude pictures, or does Playboy provide nude pictures?
> The burden will be on all the adult-oriented companies that have Internet
> access, and their web providers. Which, of course, could also put some
> burden on universities - but that would be at more of an administrative
> level at that point.
>
> Other than not being able to provide "100%" access, I don't see how this
> will affect libraries.

Gas stations *have* been prosecuted for selling "pornography", right
along with the publishers.  So have "adult" bookstores, and many others.

Even so, it doesn't really matter what was done in the past, under
previous laws.  Under the law approved yesterday, libraries and other
service providers are subject to prosecution for "allowing" patrons to
use computers to display "obscene" materials.  Period.

----
Protest the "indecent" communications bill passed by Congress and signed by
Clinton February 8, 1996.  Paint the net black.  For more information, see:
                      http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html
Chris Shaffer     shaffer at uic.edu     http://www.uic.edu/~shaffer/