Pros & cons of using HTML Tags

Hillary Handwerger hillaryh at sun470.sme.org
Wed Feb 7 08:19:29 EST 1996

I may be working under some of the same assumptions, however here is what
I have been told, and what I seem to have found by experience.

I beleve I have been told at some time that tags are important for those
little worms and knowbots that search the sites-- however, its my
understanding that the h1 and h2 tags are about as deep as they go.

Now, I have had a number of sites out there, and I have seen little to
support that these worms are going deeper than h1, if even that far.
However, I continue to use the title field and the h1 code to put in
information for the worms to find.

The font sizes have the additional benefit of allowing me to format the
look of my pages (www.apaa.org).  I don't have to deal with the extra
spacing forced by using the h tags, and I can mix font sizes on a single
line.  It also works on preformatted text and tables.

Hillary Handwerger
hillaryh at sme.org
Society of Manufacturing Engineers-- CoNDUIT Project
313 271-1500 ext 597