HTML -> >- Printed Copy

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Tue Feb 27 15:37:10 EST 1996

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 LABARBER at LIB.LAKEHEADU.CA wrote:

> I am curious, after being given the challenge, to learn if it is possible to
> (1) transfer a paper copy of a document into HTML and then (2) recreate that
> document from the HTML version using the same font size, justification, etc.
> that was there in the original document: i.e. recreate the original document
> from the HTML version.

Well - yes and no. Yes, you can transfer a document into ascii text,
stick it in the body of your html document, and adjust some basics, like
bold/italic characters, font size (to a certain extent), paragraph
breaks, etc. But, unless the document is very basic, it won't look the
same unless you scan the document and set it up as a gif file.

HTML is limited in that you're stuck with one basic font, are relegated
to block paragraphs, etc.

Feel free, anyone, to correct me if I'm wrong ...

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi
			dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu