HTML -> >- Printed Copy

Harry M. Kriz Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu
Tue Feb 27 15:01:48 EST 1996

At 10:41 AM 2/27/96 -0800, LABARBER wrote:
>I am curious, after being given the challenge, to learn if it is possible to
>(1) transfer a paper copy of a document into HTML and then (2) recreate that
>document from the HTML version using the same font size, justification, etc.
>that was there in the original document: i.e. recreate the original document
>from the HTML version.

I have had reasonable success doing this with Internet Assistant for
Microsoft Word for Windows. Taking a document designed to be printed and
converting it to HTML is trivial. You just save it as an HTML file in Word.
Of course, any special formatting you are using has to be possible in HTML,
and inserting graphics may require some additional effort.

I created a single ASCII file version of a multipage hypertext document by
capturing each page in Internet Assistant, combining them all into a single
Word document, and then changing the document template for the combined
document to one that I use for ASCII files.

This all depends on suitable redefinition and management of styles and
copying style definitions from the template into the newly constructed document.

A major problem is that the stylistic conventions for producing a hypertext
document can be quite different from producing one for printing. It all
depends on the nature of the content. One question for instance is how to
handle hyperlinks with URL's that may be hidden in the hypertext version but
need to be explicitly displayed in the printed version.

--Harry