Netscape 2.0

Stephen Westman swestman at sherlock.utsa.edu
Tue Feb 6 13:11:27 EST 1996

After hearing a number of good things about Netscape 2.0, I decided to
download the final version.  While most of it looks good, there is one
"feature" that has me baffled and leary of distributing it to everyone
else in the library.

It seems that, when I go compose an email message, I am able to type in
the header information (To:, From:, etc.) without any problems.  However,
when I go to compose the body of the message, all of my keystrokes are
interpreted into strange characters.  The strange thing about it is, when
I actually send a message that I have composed, it is received at the
other end with what I typed, not what I saw on the screen.

I have tried re-installing the software (twice), tried downloading a copy
from a different source (thinking that I may have gotten a copy with a
virus), and have looked everywhere I know of to change the font and/or
email display.

Is this a security feature where Netscape automatically encrypts a
person's message?  If so, how can I defeat it?  Is it possibly a
"crippleware" feature that will be enabled after I send them money (which
I understand is not necessary if one works at an educational
institution).  Is there some switch deep within the draconian depths of
Windows (for Workgroups 3.11) that I need to make a change in?  Any help
would be very much appreciated.

* Stephen Westman                     (210) 691-5977 (phone)           *
* Electronic Services Librarian       (210) 691-4571 (FAX)             *
* University of Texas at San Antonio  swestman at coyote.utsa.edu         *
* Library                                                              *
* 6900 North Loop 1604 West                                            *
* San Antonio, Texas 78249                                             *