Digital Cameras

Kevin C. Marsh KMarsh at Information.org
Thu Dec 19 09:48:38 EST 1996

Steven M. Jones wrote:
>We're planning a photo archive web resource and are considering the
>feasibility of buying a digital camera in the $500-1000 range to capture
>color photos.
>
>1.  Any good Web sites dealing with digital cameras and related
>technical issues?

Many!  I suggest starting with the Getty site at:
http://www.ahip.getty.edu/intro_imaging/0-Cover.html
and then following up with a search of infoseek or some other Web index.

>2.  Anyone care to share their experience with them (successful or
>otherwise) for this or a related purpose?

I continue to watch digital camera technology but the products currently
available (especially in this price range) do not capture sufficient
resolution for archival purposes.  A slide scanner or flat bed scanner,
depending on the nature of your originals, would probably serve you better.

I have worked on several similar projects at NASA, the Florida State
Archives, and local history museums.  If you would like further advice or
consulting support on this project please contact me directly by e-mail.

>Many thanks.

You're welcome!

Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director
Information Access Institute