Design books

Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library WEISSMAN at main.morris.org
Wed Dec 18 18:46:32 EST 1996

Siegel shouldn't have to defend himself that vigorously (especially not
if he cites Tufte!) Look, let's go backwards: we had Gutenberg, Janson,
Claude Garamond, the Didots, Bell and his polished paper, Tsichold (sp?),
Mardersteig, the Wardes, Stanley Morison the opinionated  ..design on
paper advanced, retreated, changed, adapted to technologies, retreated
again (Kelmscott). Web design will do the same. Know your capabilities,
know your audience ..I was thrilled to learn to do an imagemap, but I
have to forgo them because the average audience for my civic sites
can't handle them. Writing Lynx friendly alternatives to frames pages
is a pain, but it is responsible information presentation in this county,
for these users. Progress will come from those who push the envelopes,
so why not Mr. Siegel's design concepts?