NT 4.0 or NT4.0 Server?

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 04:22:38 EST 1996

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Mike Dargan wrote:
>          Is it true that IIS runs on NT 4.0?  And, if so, is there
>          anyone on the list who could share experiences with such a
>          system?

WindowsNT 4.0 workstation actually has an identical kernel to WindowsNT
4.0 server.  The different between the two products is two registry
settings, a bundle of Internet software with Server (such as IIS) and a
larger price tag on the server product.  Microsoft claimed over 700
changes in the server over the workstation but backed down somewhat after
an NT expert showed how to "convert" a WinNT workstation into a WinNT
server by changing the two registry settings.  However, Microsoft's
license is designed to scupper doing this tweaking legally.

On a personal level, I wouldn't go for IIS as its had some nasty security
holes found in it in the past and I've also recently discovered that it
has this nasty habit of not redirecting clients to directories if they
forget the trailing slash (which had me really confused when trying out a
friends web site for him). If you're committed to WinNT, I'd go with the
Netscape server.  However my platform of choice is still Linux with an
Apache server; its free, has better support, is more popular on the
Internet, can easily be remotely administrated and works well.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll