mail function in netscape

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Tue Dec 3 16:03:47 EST 1996

I don't know if you have already received useful responses
to your question, but I will venture a brief one.

You might check the listing of .EXE files in your Netscape
directory to see if the mail and news clients have separate
executables.  If so, you could use Fortres 101 to deny read
access to them--they could then no longer be executed.

Another thing you can do, if you are somewhat comfortable
with PCs, is to use Borland Resource Workshop to edit the
menus of Netscape, greying or disabling options you don't
want people to have.  I believe you have access to the menus
for the mail and news clients as well as for Netscape proper.
By disabling all menus for the clients (but not for Netscape
proper), you can prevent users from doing anything with
the mail & news programs once they bring them up.  For in-
structions in how to do this, see:

	http://www.lib.berkeley.edu:8000/NS/

Hope this helps,
Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-

--- On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:29:17 -0800  "Paula J. Barnett"