Resolving numerical adresses

David Risner drisner at swlaw.edu
Mon Dec 2 12:21:29 EST 1996

As stated, many times the IP addresses have no associated FQDN; however, there is a way to find out the name of the domain which the address comes from.  Under Unix, the command is "whois".  There are Windows whois clients.  One I know of comes with WS_FTP Pro.  As an example, the computer I am on now has the address "205.184.104.22" and is not registered in a DNS to have a FQDN.  To find out what domain the address is coming from I can type (at a Unix prompt, I'm using Linux specifically in this case):

"whois 205.184.104"

I then get the response:

[rs.internic.net]
Cad Solutions, Inc. (NETBLK-NETBLK-CADSOL) NETBLK-CADSOL
                                                 205.184.102.0 - 205.184.106.0
NETCOM On-Line Communication Services, Inc (NETBLK-NETCOM-BLK) NETCOM-BLK
                                                   205.184.0.0 - 205.187.255.0

To single out one record, look it up with "!xxx", where xxx is the
handle, shown in parenthesis following the name, which comes first.

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.

Not so helpful actually since all it tells you is that my school is a customer of Netcom; however, for most schools at least this will give you good information.

An example.  Let's say I have "130.182.181.87", I would type:

"whois 130.182"

and get:

[rs.internic.net]
California State University, Los Angeles (NET-CSULANET)
   5151 State University Drive
   Los Angeles, CA 90032

   Netname: CSULANET
   Netnumber: 130.182.0.0

   Coordinator:
      Gregorich, David T.  (DTG11)  DTG at CSULA-PS.CALSTATELA.EDU
      (213) 343-2140

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   EAGLE.CALSTATELA.EDU         130.182.121.1
   CSULA-PS.CALSTATELA.EDU      130.182.171.1
   IPAC.CALTECH.EDU             134.4.10.10

   Record last updated on 26-Aug-91.

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.

Note that this time I only used the first two numbers of the address.  This is because the first number 130 indicates that this is a class B address.  205 in the previous one is a class C.  I can never remember what the cutoff point is, but basically the lowest numbers are Class A for which you would use just the first number with whois, then comes Class B and then Class C.  There are Class D, E, and, I think, F, but these classes should not be accessing your server.

Another strategy to try is this:  if you have 205.184.104.22, start with 205.184.104.1 as a lookup in DNS (nslookup).  If this doesn't return anything, try 204.184.104.2, and so on until you either get a good name or you get up to 254.  Most people have their servers in the lowest part of the number range and these will usually have FQDN registered in DNS.

Good luck, I hope this helps you out.

--
David G. Risner - Network Services Administrator
Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, CA