Cookies? Crumbs!

David Risner drisner at swlaw.edu
Tue Aug 27 12:06:14 EDT 1996

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Thomas Dowling wrote:

> In recent browsing of several library home pages, I've noticed quite a few
> using cookies.  I've considered a cookie-based user verification scheme,
> but I honestly haven't seen a reason to distribute cookies from a home
> page.  Rightly or wrongly, a lot of users consider them an unwarranted
> intrusion, so--if any of you are using them--what are you using them for?

Cookies can be sent automatically by Apache for logging the length of time
each user is at your site.  It send a cookie with the first page you get;
it then gets that cookie back with each page you get in the next day or
so.  It can then see how long each user is looking at your pages and can
better track how many different users are seeing your site.

David G. Risner
Network Services Administrator
Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, CA
drisner at swlaw.edu  213/738-6762