[Fwd: Re: hiring librarians]

Walt Howe walthowe at delphi.com
Mon Aug 26 00:13:52 EDT 1996

At 06:29 PM 8/25/96 -0700, Sallie Becker wrote:
>At the SLA conference in Boston this June, one of the speakers made
>reference to a Basic Competencies document that had been accepted by the
>Board of Directors during the conference.  No details on the content
>were revealed, but publication was expected soon.  My last visit to
>SLA's website (www.sla.org) about a week ago made no reference to Basic
>Competencies.  Anyone out there have additional information?  I'd like
>to think that this document would address some of these technology
>issues.

I'm gisting Hope Tillman's comments on this question for her. I called the
question to her attention, but she's working on another deadline tonight, so
I volunteered to pass along her information.

The report on "Competencies for Special Librarians of the 21st Century" was
approved and accepted by the SLA Board of Directors at the Boston
Conference. Since it has not been released in online retrievable form yet,
and such release is not imminent, the quickest way to get the document is to
write/phone/fax/email SLA HQ and ask for a copy of Board Document A96-81.

Our thanks to the great job by Joanne Marshall, Bill Fisher, Lynda Moulton,
and Roberta Piccoli!

  O-O-    See my home page at http://people.delphi.com/walthowe/
   J  )   my Internet Learning Center at http://world.std.com/~walthowe/
 (   )    and "Ask Walt, your Internet Advisor" at
  ())     http://bbs.iguide.com:8090/internet/