Security Web page update

Bill Moseley moseley at netcom.com
Thu Aug 22 13:52:20 EDT 1996

Sorry for any cross-posts you may receive.

Many of you know about the Public Access/Windows/Netscape security documents
located at http://lib.berkeley.edu:8000/Security/.

I updated some of the links today, including a new page on setting up
StopLight for Windows 95, and one on how to disable the "file:///" URL in
Netscape. This is the URL that allows patrons to examine and copy file
located on your hard drive.  There is also a page that talks about disabling
Netscape's menu items.  (And a link to IKIOSK, which will also disable menu
items.)

I've also put up the security setup I use on a number of public access
computers (Win 3.1 and Win 95).  It uses batch files and the built-in
security features of Windows and DOS.

I don't really recommend any security program over another, but I do like
Stoplight's approach.  (Anybody that is used to the security in NT or
Netware will like it too.)  It may be a bit harder to set up than other
security programs, so that's why I setup a web page for it.  Its also very
inexpensive.

I hope you find these pages helpful.

BTW - are you using your CMOS security?

Bill Moseley