Linux

Toens Bueker bueker at bidnix.bid.fh-hannover.de
Thu Aug 15 11:11:21 EDT 1996

Eric Schnell wrote:

> The OS is very particular about video drivers and CDROM
> units which are used, something that only those who have
> experience with it would have even known about. For example
> we had to use a 2X CDROM because it would not recognize
> anything faster.

You must have used a kind of outdated version. If I should
evaluate Linux today I would choose RedHat 3.0.3, S.u.S.e
4.3, or the Caldera Network Desktop. Those distributions
support a broad range of hardware.

> He has been trying to convince me that we should drop all
> Microsoft OS's in favor of Linux running X-windows. As I told
> him, we have to be careful not to develop systems and library
> standards around an OS which requires such a high level of
> understanding and support.

And there it is again, that old os-war :-)
Are there any libraries that use X-terminals instead of
windows on their public workstations? I cannot imagine
anything easier to administer ...

> Besides, what are the odds we will be able to find someone
> else with his understanding of the OS If he moves on?

Not too bad, I guess. The Linux-community is big and
growing fast. Especially at universities with a cs
department.

> So unless you have the support staff or are willing to take the
> time to learn and experiment, don't bother with Linux. If you do,
> be careful not to paint yourself into a corner.

Take a chance :-)

By
Toens