re security

ELIZABETH BLAKELY/REFERENCE blakely1 at jeflin.tju.edu
Thu Aug 15 10:36:14 EDT 1996

About libraries not being a big target for prowlers...

You might read Tom Delaney's article in Computers in Libraries
(16:2:1996, p 8+).  The article  describes his nasty experience of having
the library computers at Colorado State U. hacked.  The article's
upshot, Libraries systems are good targets; they have large quantities
of data being stored and searched but  not lots of sophisticated
utilities or programs.  Delaney contends that they  are good places for
hackers to hide.

When I worked as a systems administrator, I always tried to be
concerned about the accounts on our machines but instill folks with a
sense of keep your materials secure so that people cannot abuse/use your
account for other nefarious purposes:  security holes start can be small
but can affect more than just one person or machine.

 Elizabeth Linck Blakely, MILS			|  blakely1 at jeflin.tju.edu
 Information Services Librarian			|  215/503-7676
 Academic Information Services & Research	|  1020 Walnut Street
 Thomas Jefferson University			|  Philadelphia, PA 19107