Linux

caldweg1 at tipo.transcripts.com caldweg1 at tipo.transcripts.com
Thu Aug 15 10:04:08 EDT 1996

          We have both SCO and Linux here, and I have done SunOS. We
          have several web servers, here and abroad, running Linux and
          Apache. I have found them to be easier - with faster, more
          knowledgeable support on the net - than any other OS. I
          greatly prefer Linux community-style support to what we get
          from SCO.

          Yes, there are subtle gotchas in Linux, no different from
          any OS. For what it's worth, we have found the Slackware
          distribution to be fairly robust - 14000 visitors a day,
          some 100000 gets a day on a 486/33 with 16meg RAM. We tried
          RedHat from RedHat and Caldera, both of which we thought
          were superior desktops, but web demands crashed them. Could
          of been something we didn't do.

          Since we webserve internationally, downloads and upgrades
          over the net really help us keep versions constant
          worldwide.

          And with this useage, over the last 6 months we've had NO
          fatal hacks.

          Check the RedHat page for general Linux knowledge and
          security discussions, also the CGI-L (EGE.EDU.TR).

          George -no signature line- Caldwell