[Fwd: FlexED HTML Editor]

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Tue Aug 20 12:46:56 EDT 1996

If you haven't looked at FlexEX HTML Editor for Windows, you might want to
give it a try.  I first heard about it in a Web4Lib note, and it's gone
through a couple of minor version upgrades since then.

It ain't a heavy-duty "site maintenance" system.  It is simple and easy and
clear to use, so much so that I've found it quite productive to use in
teaching HTML classes. Takes but a moment to get many of the students up to
really productive work.  You can essentially forget about the syntax learning
curve, and concentrate on what you're doing.  Some students produce screens
that can really impress you, by the end of the first class!

The HELP screens are spare, but helpful.  The "Reference" screen in help is
really an entry into a quite nice HTML command manual, with
explanation, syntax, examples, etc.

FlexED has a decent internal HTML viewer, so that you don't have to worry
about making sure you can load it simultaneously with your Web browser, have
to start your Winsock, etc.  It has NICE tabular "wizards" for setting the
parameters of HTML commands, so that you can play with the settings and
appearance, whilst you see the effect in the (optional) split screen HTML
viewer window.

It's worth looking at, and at $25, isn't gonna break your Web Development
Budget.

Cheers,
-ernest

Ernest Perez, Ph.D.//Oregon State Library//perez at opac.state.or.us
"Outside of a dog, man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog it's
too dark to read."  - Groucho Marx