FOI Request

matt at dasher.csd.sc.edu matt at dasher.csd.sc.edu
Fri Aug 16 11:35:37 EDT 1996

Well I must say I have been overwhelmed with responses to my post about
the FOI request for MidNet's database.  My only mistake was suggesting
(did I?) that the university lawyers were negligent in their duties (at
least a lot of folks took it that way.) The law we are responding to is
a South Carolina law (which I didn't know at the time), not the federal
FOIA. There is a difference, and there is
some case law here that says name and address are not private. So there
goes the privacy clause.  Thanks for all the comments and please forward
this comment where you forwarded the last one so everybody knows we do have
good lawyers at USC. (We haven't given the database yet.) I will post a
summary of the outcome when the time comes.

Matthew Penn
Director, MidNet
matt at dasher.csd.sc.edu
http://www.midnet.sc.edu