[restrictions] settings

Bill Moseley moseley at netcom.com
Fri Aug 16 10:53:28 EDT 1996

This question comes up often (this time on another list) so I thought it
might be helpful to post here.

At 01:20 PM 8/15/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I was wondering if someone could repost a good list of options for the
>progman.ini [restrictions] section, or perhaps point me to a source or
>documentation.  I've got them all in my notes here and there but am
>having a hard time bringing it together.  Thanks!

In progman.ini

[restrictions]     ; define the restriction section of progman.ini

NoSaveSettings=1   ; disable save settings on exit and double-click on
                   ; the close button to save settings.
NoClose=1          ; disables exit - can use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to shutdown
                   ; if running as the shell in Win 95.
NoFileMenu=1       ; This disables entire file menu

"NoFileMenu" is the most restrictive since it removes the entire file menu
and all functions on that menu.  You can't change an icon's properties, (or
even see the properties), move, create, delete icons, etc.  If you don't
want to restrict that much (which I don't know why) you can do a number of
things:

(If you do use NoFileMenu=1 then you don't need any of these below)

                  ********** NOTE *****************
There is a bug in Program Manager with the EditLevel setting that allows
creation of New icons even if disabled on the File Menu.  Therefore, I
suggest using NoFileMenu instead of EditLevel.

- Set a .grp file as readonly and then you can't move or delete the icons
for that group.

- You can use the "NoRun=1" to remove the Run command only.

- You can use the [restrictions] setting "EditLevel=" for different levels
of restrcitions.  Again, "NoFileMenu=1" will be most restrictive.

EditLevel=1    If I remember it doesn't do anything.

EditLevel=2    remove the Move, Copy, New, and Delete for an icon.

Editlevel=3    Can't change the icon's command line and disables the
               "Browse" button from the icon's properties setup dialog.
               Can still change the icon's Description, Working Directory,
               Icon, and Shortcut key.

Editlevel=4    removes all items from the properties page.  You can't
               change the settings, but you can still see what they
               are set as.

By using the NoFileMenu setting you can keep people from looking at the
properties at all (and prevent them from seeing where your programs are located.

Hope this helps (and is correct ;)

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at netcom.com