Indents

Cedar Falls Public Library Acct #1 cfpl00 at iren.net
Thu Aug 1 13:56:04 EDT 1996

I liked Thom Dowling's comments and agree
whole-heartedly with his point about the
problem of Kludges having to be fixed next
year or whenever.  After 3 years,
I'm still learning about things that don't
work in lynx and fixing things.

*I* would like to see more recognition by those who
are verbally/printed word-oriented of the fact that
visual design _also_ is involved in the process of
communication of information.  They are sometimes
inseparable.

I'm not "anti-word" which would be ridiculous, but
it's ocurred to me that one important reason that there's
any discussion at all of quick fixes that are "dirty"
is the fact that at it's inception, the model the Web
creators were following was that of the codex or the
scroll.  I'm not _blaming_ them or anything --
in the West at least, visual elements were always
considered pretty much secondary to the print.
Illustration means to augment understanding of the
words, not stand in place of them.  It's been proven
however, especially in children's books and in Medieval
stained glass, that printed words are not always necessary.
It depends on the nature of what you want to convey.

There is also the issue of plain white space.  Every
artist knows that leaving space open makes what's
left much more important and meaningful.  The relationship
of images on the page, whatever it's proportion, is
meaningful in itself.  Indenting sends a different
message from bulleted lists and so sometimes lists are
inappropriate formatting for the information.  I find
non-indented paragraphs less easy to read. (Although of
course, I'm not bothering to do it here!)  There is a
rhythm to them, a better sense of beginning and end,
which also makes them seem more reasoned, logical and
less hasty.

I think that this search for a way to indent or
tab is additionally reflective of the fact that
we need visual formatting for simple ease of reading.
We all know it's not a trivial thing when you're
trying to read something with no line breaks.

My point is that, for people who are able to
see and who don't have to use braille, the visual
aspects of communication are every bit as meaningful
as the meaning behind only the printed, verbal
aspect.  This is often very subtle which I think
is why we don't acknowledge it properly.

For the record, I'm not down on content standards,
-- far from it! -- I'm just surprised that anything
visual _tends_ to be considered so unimportant.

Thanks,
--Barb Dunn