print jobs and browsers

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sun Apr 28 09:50:41 EDT 1996

Highly low-tech, but next to Fred, our first public netstation, we have a
sign that warns people to look at the length of the document before
printing and, if necessary, alert a librarian so we can stop the print job.
Even with one workstation we have already soothed the jangled nerves of
patrons who have inadvertently sent the equivalent of Moby Dick to the
printer. (At least at the EPA, folks become nonplussed if they accidentally
initiate large print jobs.) We also encourage downloading.

I too wish the print function would clearly, visibly alert people how long
the document is... after all, the print manager does know (you can say
print page 35 and it knows where that is, even if you don't).  You can
"guesstimate" but that's not the same.  I would hate to get to the point
where we're disabling features we want people to use because the software
lacks an interface that meets their needs.  Signage is inadequate for one
workstatoin, and I see this getting more, not less problematical as we
expand public access.  This is definitely an area where a fix would be
welcome...

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at bluehighways.com * http://www.bluehighways.com/
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
These opinions strictly mine and those of Blue Highways