Linking to URLs on the web--CNN

John Creech jcreech at redshift.com
Fri Apr 26 13:36:02 EDT 1996

> On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Marsha Weeks wrote:
> > CNN isn't trying to stop people from viewing thier site, they just want to
> > control their trademark. I don't necessarily agree with what CNN is doing
> > but I'm trying to view this from a legal standpoint, not my own personal
> > feelings.
> > -Marsha

This all got cranked up when Donald Barclay of NMSU calmly pointed out that:

"This business of linking URLs is really part of a larger problem. A while
back that CNN was providing news on the web.  Our library had a link to
this site until we got a threatening message from CNN saying we couldn't
link to their site unless we paid."

I don't see Donald making any mention of violating copyright, trademark,
intellectual property rights, etc.  The issue sounded simply like CNN was
saying "don't link to us unless you pay."

Hmmm...well it's still the wild west in cyberland, bubba.  Like Butch
said to Sundance: the first rule in a knife fight is there are no rules
in a knife fight.  Appropriating copyrighted images is, to my knowledge,
illegal, regardless of medium.  But I've not heard of any legal
precendent for denying access to an open site.  Has anyone else?

John Creech, Reference Librarian
California State University at Monterey Bay
Library Account:  john_creech at monterey.edu
Home Account(preferred):  jcreech at redshift.com
PERSONAL web pages at http://www.redshift.com/~jcreech

"You didn't need a bloodhound to know the smell of blood was in the air"
             --Eric Andersen, Ghosts Upon the Road