Web-accessible thesauri

JHENDERSON JHENDERSON at liber.ithaca.edu
Fri Apr 26 09:48:05 EDT 1996

With thesauri you need to be watchful of several things.  First, the name
Roget has gone the way of Webster in entering the public domain, and the label
Roget signifies nothing about the thesaurus's compilers or publisher.
Because the 1911 Roget's thesaurus is in the public domain, and has become
part of the Gutenberg Project.  If a thesaurus is not otherwise labeled, there
is a good chance that that is the one being used.

ARTFL Project's ROGET'S Thesaurus
(http://home.netscape.com/home/whats-new.html)
is the thesaurus I have used most often. (But I still prefer a hard copy
thesaurus.) It is a searchable full text Roget's Thesaurus version 1.02
(supplemented: July 1991) released to the public domain by MICRA Inc and the
Gutenberg Project [which I think means it is based on the 1911 version]. The
interface works well. You can search by keywords in the text or by headwords.

Plenty of other thesauri are available, including several in special subject
areas, and as part of many gopher ready reference sites.  Just try any of the
search engines or link to any of the many library "reference" pages.

John Henderson
Ithaca College Library
jhenderson at liber.ithaca.edu