Mac servers

Bryan Davis davis at crpl.cedar-rapids.lib.ia.us
Mon Apr 22 15:43:28 EDT 1996

We are also Mac based and are currently experimenting with a Mac Workgroup
Server 6150/66.  We picked this one because Adam Engst who runs Tidbits and
wrote the Internet Starter Kit for Macintosh mentioned that this is what
they are running their web site with.  Feeling that if such a well known
Mac guru was doing OK with this machinery, our more modest needs would
probably be well served as well.  We don't have it completely on line yet,
so I can't give much more than this except that it was a cinch to set up.
Hang in there with the Mac.  It really IS better!

>Our web site currently resides on our regional library system's server, but
>we're considering setting up our own server.  Our library is entirely
>Macintosh, and our server will be, too (and, btw, there's no need trying to
>convice us that a UNIX or NT server is better :-) ), so my question to
>those of you using Mac web servers is: what model is your Mac server, what
>level of usage (hits) does it support, and what kind of response times do
>you get from it?  As a small-to-medium sized public library, we won't be
>getting an enormous number of hits, perhaps a few hundred a day, but do
>intened to make extensive use of index searching and cgi links to in-house
>Hypercard databases (the main reason we need our own server), which is
>supposedly a bigger drain on the CPU than simply serving up static pages.
>On the web pages for their servers, Apple quotes hit rates several orders
>of magnitude larger than what we would ever have, but I don't know how
>meaningful those figures are in real life, or how much they might be
>affected by line speed (ours will likely be a 56K line) or cgi.
>
>Thanks!
>

>Kevin Justie
>Head of Technical and Automated Services
>Morton Grove Public Library
>Morton Grove, IL
>(847) 965-4220
>kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
>http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/
>Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
>offical Library policy.

Bryan Davis, Assistant Director                 Cedar Rapids Public Library
davis at crpl.cedar-rapids.lib.ia.us                        319-398-5124 voice
                                                       Luck follows effort.